There are many families in Wanganui who do exactly this. The reasons for raising children alone are varied and some unfortunately reflect what is happening in society in New Zealand.
Published: 20 Oct 15
Birthright - A Hand Up Not a Hand Out
Have you ever considered what it would be like to raise a family by yourself?
There are many families in Wanganui who do exactly this. The reasons for raising children alone are varied and some unfortunately reflect what is happening in society in New Zealand. At least 1/3 of children will live in a home where there is not a mother and father at some stage of their lives. This is a scary statistic for the development of secure family lives.
Delicious handy work from children participating in out of school activities
Birthright Wanganui is a not for profit organisation which has been supporting one parent families in Wanganui and Rangitikei since 1959. Our reason for being is to ensure that the children from these families are not disadvantaged in any way because they have one parent as a permanent caregiver. Most do have some access to the other parent but this is on a short term basis.
Birthright believes that every child in New Zealand is entitled to a happy, secure and loving home environment. We work with the family to support and help the growth of confidence, resilience and skills within the family as a unit.
What do we do?
• Positive Parenting courses for young parents, parents and grandparents who want to ensure they have the right skills to bring up happy, healthy and loved children to become responsible adults.
• One to one support from qualified workers
• Cooking, coffee and chat sessions where a parent can relax and share experiences and ideas with others whilst experimenting with new recipes.
• Assistance with children participating in out of school activities – when funding allows.
• Through the generosity of Wanganui people distribute Christmas gifts and other donated items to those in need.
• Provide other services to support one parent families to be positive citizens
How can you help?
Become a Friend of Birthright. For a small yearly subscription help subsidise a local child to learn to swim, have a day at a holiday programme, assist to meet educational goals or a myriad of other activities.
Support our fundraising efforts – raffles, purchase our recipe books, tell people about us.
Join our Board and help Birthright to support the one parent families in our community.
Contact us at Birthright Wanganui
Phone: 06 347 1770 or 021 265 8713
244 Victoria Avenue, Wanganui